Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Review: Bad Sports - Bras


I looked at my calendar when I was listening this album. Much to my dismay, it was still 2013.

Not that I'm not too down on our day and age, but when something makes you feel like you're in another era, it sucks to be reminded you're still in the present. Bad Sports album, Bras, had the distinct pleasure to ruin my day as their Buzzcocks and The Clash influenced brand of garage-punk-rock reminded me of an era I know a lot about, but never witnessed: The late 1970's.

It's not to say these guys are mimicking those bands or that era exactly, but there's a brash style here at play that really seems to take you back. "Nothing In This World" and "Eddie Bender" really emphasize this idea, rocking away with simple chords and an aggressive, but not Animal from The Muppets like speed. These guys are American, so maybe a slight comparison with MC5 will suffice with these songs, but as an overall comparison, it doesn't truly work.

Bad Sports manages to grind out a few punk rock songs as well with "Hypothetical Girl" and "Washed Up". They both feel like they have a bit of straight up rock'n'roll vibe, but they don't wander too far from the punk path, which are their saving grace. It'd be interesting to see them concentrate more on songs like these, but punk is a fickle mistress, and I totally understand their desire not to be a one trick pony.

"Let Me In" and "Rich City Kid" are the two tracks I took the least away from. It's not that they're bad, but they don't live up to the potential the other songs left for them. Maybe I'm being too harsh on them, because they're rock songs first and foremost, but it clearly isn't these guys bread and butter. It shows that they put more effort into their garage rock and punk material, so maybe they should concentrate on that in the future.

Bras is actually very solid, and I love what these guys are doing for the most part. This is one of those works that feels incomplete being listened to online. The dose of nostalgia it gives you really commands you to listen to it on vinyl (I don't know if they're releasing it on vinyl or not, but they should), and it surely will take you back to a time where things still sucked, but people just seemed to get past it a little bit better.  - Shane



1 comment:

  1. I purchased the Worlds Best Bra and it is the worst bra I have ever had. There is zero support. It is like putting a pair of cheap pantyhose on your breasts. I asked what it would cost to return & the rep said what the post office charges you. Well the co. charges 29.95 to return - big rip off. They told me to wear two bras at one time. It is the absolute worst bra ever!

    ReplyDelete