Friday, August 2, 2013

Review: The Underground Youth - The Perfect Enemy For God


It's fun to have a band silence you with its power. Its happened so rarely that I almost can't remember the last time I just sat down and listened to an album all the way through, shutting the fuck up and just letting the album take me over. That's not to say the album is a favorite of mine, or is free of ridicule, it just means it has that certain something, that power that commands your attention enough to be taken to another world, musically. The Perfect Enemy For God is one such album. 

The Underground Youth play a very retro form of post-punk, sounding as if they're straight out of the eighties. Reminiscent of bands like Joy Division, The Underground Youth never try to copy much, instead focusing on infusing their sound with a dash of energy that keeps you from feeling depressed or lethargic (Much like Joy Division does for me). It may not be noticeable to everyone, but when you've been subjected to as much 80's post-punk as I have, it's a welcome change of pace.

"In The Dark I see" and "Rodion"  usher in such a sense of cool that I almost felt guilty for liking them. There's a pretentiousness to cool I've never felt fully embracing, but with these songs, I was fine with it. They're mature, and not pompous, which aids in their likability. "Tokyo Blue" and "Masquerade" lower the energy level a bit, but what they lack in vigor they more then make up for in atmosphere. As somber and drone-like as these songs are, they still manage to grab your attention, filling the air with such a sense of mysteriousness that I almost felt uncomfortable with it. 

Even when a song clocks in at nine minutes, like "Veil" does, The Underground Youth never manage to bore you. You can say they're not your thing, but there's no denying their music demands your immediate concentration. "Juliette" and "In Sofias Reflection" round out the album, providing solid tracks that don't bore you, which is incredible since most bands filler songs always feel uninspired. I might get some unkind words from my friends here in the states, but the British really do know how to do music right. So do we Americans, but they do have the upper hand on us a bit.

The Perfect Enemy For God is the perfect album to be alone with. Not that I want any of you to be alone, but there's just something to listening to this album by yourself. and not having any outside influences around the mess it up for you, that gives you such a sense of relief. It put me at ease after such a terrible day at work, and when an album can do that as quickly as theirs did, it generates plenty of respect. - Shane

No comments:

Post a Comment